Windows Live Mail previously known as Window Mail desktop is a free email client developed by Microsoft. It is a successor to both Outlook Express in Windows XP and Windows Mail in Vista. It is an easy-to-use desktop email program that lets you send and receive emails including calendar and conversation view, as well.
Windows Live Mail is designed to run on Windows 7 and 8 but compatible with later versions also. WLM is part of the Windows Essentials 2012 suite, which includes several fine programs like Live Mail, Live Writer, photo Gallery and One Drive.
Windows Live Mail 2012 is a discontinued freeware email but will not stop working, and you can still use it to download emails from any standard email service. However, a lot of users looks for solution to migrate from Windows Live mail to Thunderbird or Outlook, so that they can use a more advance features provided by them.
Default Location of Windows Live Mail is:
Location of Window Live Mail file depends on where you have installed it.
- For Vista or Windows 7 – C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
- For XP – C:\DocumentsandSettings\uname\LocalSettings\ApplicationData\Microsoft\WindowsLive Mail
Windows Live Mail’s special and unique features:
- Besides e-mail and instant messaging Windows Live Mail also have several added features such as word processing with online services such as file sharing, blogs and off-site file storage. Users can access some of these services online while downloading others to their hard drives.
- It offers feature of photo-email by which we can send and receive good quality image via attachment in the email.
- It supports several programs like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo! Mail Plus and more in one place which allows you to download mail from several other accounts in one single window and can even access your emails, calendar and contacts etc. offline.
- Windows Live Mail has enhanced security features as it has been equipped with antivirus.
How to backup Window live mail?
EML (.eml) is the extension file for a Windows Live Mail data file. EML allows users to easily move from one application to another to share and store information as EML files are supported by different emailing clients like Windows Live Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, Apple Mail and others but not in MS Outlook. For that Windows Live mail contains an export wizard, by using this manual method you can easily export the windows live mail in PST file format.
- Launch Windows Live Mail email and click on “Export email” in File menu
- Then choose “Email messages” option
- Now in Window Live Mail dialog box, choose the Microsoft Exchange option and click on Next.
- Next, you will see a message pops up, click Ok on it to proceed.
- Now, select the folders you want to backup. After that, choose selected folder option and then click Ok.
- Select Outlook and Ok
- Now the process gets started, wait until it gets completed.
- You can now use Outlook Import-Export utility to add these PST files in Outlook.
You can easily backup Windows Live Mail for free by using this manual method, but it is little time consuming and have high risk of data loss. To ensure security of your data you can use any EML to PST converter Tool available online.
There is no limitation with such tools because they work with utmost efficiency and make sure complete data gets converted into PST formats. On the contrary, you can also convert PST file or OST file into EML file format. This helps you read the emails within OST file in windows live mail or any other applications which support EML file format.