Mac OS by Apple Inc. does not need any introduction. It has one of the top Operating systems and supports a very different architecture. That is why almost all applications create a Mac version of their product so that you can use it on a Mac OS device. And same implies to Microsoft Outlook.
MS Outlook for Mac is designed in such a way that although it has a completely different UI than Windows Outlook, it supports all MS Outlook data file formats. Thus, if you need to import Apple Mail into MS Outlook for Mac, convert the Apple mailbox to PST and import the PST file to MS Outlook on your Mac PC.
What is Apple Mail?
In Mac, Apple Mail is one of the most preferred email clients. It is the default email client provided by Mac OS to open, view, and create emails in offline mode. Apple Mail saves emails with a .emlx file extension, and the mailbox has an MBOX file format.
Similar to Apple Mail, Outlook for Mac stores its data in a .olm format, and if you need to export data from Outlook for Mac to windows, you have to convert OLM to PST. On the other hand, Outlook for Windows stores the data in OST or PST file format. This incompatibility of Apple Mail and MS Outlook database files creates concern about how to get your emails from Apple Mail saved in a Windows to Outlook for Mac.
Nevertheless, it is not an impossible task to transfer Mac Mail from a Windows PC to Outlook for Mac. All you need to do is first convert the Apple Mail EMLX files into Outlook PST format and then import the PST file into MS Outlook or Outlook for Office 365. Let us learn how to export Apple Mail data to MS Outlook for Windows.
Note: This process is only valid for orphan EMLX files saved on any windows machine. You can perform the EMLX to PST conversion on any windows machine and take PST to a Mac PC to import PST in MS Outlook for Mac.
Manual Steps to Transfer Apple Mail Emails to Microsoft Outlook
If you have an Apple Mail account on Mac and want to open emails in Outlook for Windows, then here are the steps that you can follow:
Step 1: Locate the Apple Mail MBOX files.
The default location is ~/Library/Mail/Vx. In the case of macOS Mojave, the folder is V6. Follow the steps
- Open the Finder app and then select ‘Go to Folder’.
- Type ~/Library/Mail and then navigate to the subfolder to find files with the .mbox extension.
- Copy all the .mbox files and transfer them to a Windows PC.
Besides this, you can also export the email Apple Mail folder from the “Export Mailbox” option. To export email folders to MBOX files, follow these steps:
- Open Apple Mail.
- Right-click on an email folder and choose ‘Export Mailbox’.
- Choose a location to save the email folder as an MBOX file.
- Repeat these steps to save all email folders as MBOX files.
- Then, move the file from macOS to Windows PC with the help of cloud storage or USB devices for this task.
Step 2: Convert MBOX Files to Outlook Importable PST and import them into MS Outlook.
Since there is no manual method to save MBOX as PST, it is wiser to convert the MBOX file to PST format. For this, you can opt MBOX to PST converter. It is a specialized software designed to migrate files in bulk. Thus, saving your time and effort.
Once you convert MBOX to PST, import the PST file in MS Outlook with the “Import/Export” Wizard.
- Open Outlook, go to the File menu, and select the Import/Export option.
- Select the option “Import from another program or file” in the dialog window and click Next. After that, select the type of file to import Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next
- Choose the folder where the PST file is stored and select Next to proceed.
- Select folders and subfolders to import if necessary and click Finish.
We have discussed a complete step-by-step procedure to transfer emails from a Mac-based computer to a Window system and vice versa. With the help of EML conversion and MBOX conversion tools, you can easily accomplish the job.